Are you frustrated that even after putting in so much effort, mustering a lot of will power, following the diet to the T, becoming a gym rat – nothing seems to help, not at least to lower the numbers on the weighing scale. There might be a couple of mistakes stopping you from achieving success – from switching around trying every other superfood that claims to be a silver bullet to melt away extra fat to cutting out major food groups, or there can be more than one. Even if you are eating everything healthy and exercising consistently, these 6 small mistakes can ruin your weight loss goals.
1. Adding Too Much Oil To your Meals: We Indians do like curries to be spicy and oily. We all know by now how changing the cooking oil can be a game-changer in weight loss. Even with the healthiest of oils, it’s important to cut down the quantity of oil while cooking. Olive oil, ghee, butter, coconut oil have healthy fats but they are calorie dense and would increase the calorie count at the end of the day. For example, 1 tbsp of olive oil has 119 calories! And if you are adding too much oil, it would be difficult to maintain a calorie deficit. Please take note that reducing the amount of oil during the cooking process will help cut down so many calories.
2. Eyeballing Calories: We tend to underestimate the amount of calories in food when we resort to eyeballing the quantity. When you are just starting out, instead of eyeballing quantity and calories, weigh and measure the food as mentioned on the diet plan. Because without measuring, you may be consuming a lot more calories.
3. Skimping on Water Intake: It’s a hotly debated topic – if warm water is better than cold water for weight loss. No matter what the temperature, do remember to keep yourself hydrated, experts say, at least 8 glasses of water per day prevents dehydration and helps in running of all physiological systems in the body smoothly. Dehydration can create a lot of uneasiness in the body including headache, lightheadedness, low blood pressure, but if you didn’t already know, it can send hunger signals and make you eat more! When we are dehydrated, the body cannot clearly distinguish between hunger and thirst signals, and most often instead of sipping a glass of water, we tend to indulge in unhealthy snacks to curb hunger pangs. Experts say there’s a strong connection between dehydration and weight gain, because lack of water causes tiredness and exhaustion, and in order to quickly replenish energy, we opt to eat something with calories to get a boost of energy. Water is the elixir of life, a zero-calorie drink that boosts metabolism, helps the body flush out toxins, and also to absorb nutrients, and do not forget to drink water at regular intervals even if you aren’t feeling thirsty.
4. Looking for Everything “Low Fat”: It’s a huge misconception that all fats are unhealthy and eliminating everything with “fat” in it would lead to quick weight gain. So, in a quest to lose weight quickly, we tend to look for “low fat” stuff. But low-fat food options may have an insane amount of added sugar to compensate for the bland taste after ripping away the fat content. Before you pick a “low-fat” version of something, do make it a point to go through the ingredients list to eliminate the presence of added sugar.
5. Eating Too Many Healthy Foods and Falling out of Calorie Deficit: There’s no doubt oatmeal, kale, avocado, chia seeds, almonds, peanut butter, fruits are all healthy food and therefore weight loss friendly, but all of them still have calories that add up at the end of the day. Just because it’s healthy, you cannot still binge eat them – always portion control, practice mindful eating to maintain calorie deficit to burn extra fat.
6. Not Making Lifestyle Changes: Make no mistake, weight loss is not all about “less calories in vs more calories out.” You need to lead an active lifestyle, reduce stress, sleep for 7 or more hours, and get out of the sedentary lifestyle. Needless to mention, dieters who lead a sedentary and stressful lifestyle find losing weight an uphill task.
Summing up, it’s clear that eating less or exercising too much would not burn off all extra fat, you need to make tiny changes here and there as well. Also, if weight loss is on your mind, there is no better diet than Rati Beauty diet to shed extra pounds and lose inches off the waist as well.
Does Drinking Hot Water Help with Weight Loss?
8 Foods That Are Low Calorie But Not Health