|This site contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.|
Canon Utsunomiya Office to install new manufacturing facilities, strengthen manufacturing capacity for semiconductor lithography systems
TOKYO, October 6, 2022—Canon Inc. announced today that the company will install new manufacturing facilities at its Utsunomiya Office, which produces semiconductor lithography systems and other devices. The new facilities are scheduled to commence operation in the first half of 2025.
The Canon Group, under Phase VI of its “Excellent Global Corporation Plan” series of 5-year management plans, aims to “accelerate our corporate portfolio transformation by improving productivity and creating new businesses.” As part of these efforts, Canon is working to expand its semiconductor lithography system business, one of the company’s primary strategic businesses.
The semiconductor market is expected to see continued growth amid the transition towards a “smart society” led by such advancements as the IoT and 5G. Canon is working to strengthen its position in the fields of products, business and support while aiming to increase its market share of semiconductor lithography systems. Going forward, Canon is responding to forecasted growth in demand in the mid-and long-term by strengthening its manufacturing capabilities through the installation of new facilities at the company’s Utsunomiya Office.
Outline of new facilities
- Name: Canon Inc. Utsunomiya Optical Products Plant New Factory (provisional name)
- Address: 22-2 Kiyohara-Kogyodanchi, Utsunomiya, Tochigi
- Area: Approximately 70,000 m2
- Capital investment: Approximately ¥38 billion (construction cost)
- Construction start: 2nd half 2023
- Commencement of operation: 1st half 2025
- Scope of business: R&D, manufacture and services related to semiconductor lithography systems