Question for you: Do you pack light, or do you strive to shove the proverbial kitchen sink into your travel bags or luggage?
I’m a notoriously committed over-packer (hey, I like to be prepared), but truth be told…I usually don’t even use most of the things I pack!
I’ve been thinking about this for a couple days because we’re going on a short, few-day trip to visit our family in Hawaii, but rather than stuffing my carry-on luggage to the max, this time I packed all my stuff into a 1) Jansport backpack I’ve had since college and 2) my trusty Rick Steve’s shoulder bag (more on this in a second).
The other day I told El Hub that I planned to try this new packing strategy, and he straight up laughed! Then he said, “Good luck with that.” 😐
The reason I decided to try the new approach was because I realized that my regular luggage bag, which is just a standard soft-shell wheeled suitcase (carry-on size), weighed more than the actual contents inside!
I don’t know why, but I’m so bothered by the idea of luggage that weighs more than my clothes. It really bugs me.
Compared to my luggage, my old Jansport backpack from college weighs virtually nothing, and it also fits my clothes and my shoes.
Everything else — my makeup, hair and skin toiletries, electronic devices — will go in the same shoulder bag I’ve brought with me on every trip over the past decade, the Rick Steve’s shoulder bag. It’s by no means uber-fashionable, but it’s lightweight, has tons of pockets, and the shoulder pad is super comfy. Highly, highly recommended!
Still…knowing me, I’ll probably end up transferring everything into my luggage at the last minute. Haha.
Anywho, that’s all the makeup I’m bringing with me in the picture up at the top. I’m still rockin’ a relatively minimalist makeup vibe…
Vacation Makeup, 2022
- Urban Decay Cannonball Mascara
- NARS Deep Throat Blush
- Ilia Color Haze Multi-Use Pigment in Temptation
- NARS Eyeshadow Duos in Isolde, Alhambra, Kalahari
- NARS Eyeshadow Single in Fez
- Hourglass Scattered Light Glitter Eyeshadow in Ray
- Ilia Clean Gel Liner in Dusk
- Eyeko Black Magic Cocoa Edit Liquid Liner
- Chanel Eyebrow Pencil in Deep Brown
- Laura Mercier Lipstick in Nu Prefere
- Sun Bum SPF30 Lip Balm in Pomegranate
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Wheat
- Avene Mineral Sunscreen (Tinted and Non-Tinted)
- Hourglass Veil Retouching Makeup in Sand
- Ilia Balmy Gloss in Tahiti
See you on the other side of the Pacific!
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. Rosie can’t come on this trip, but she’s thrilled to be able to spend some “meow time” with her favorite petsitter/college professor. She practically kicked me out the door!